Our career plays a significant role in shaping the next generation which is important to keep in mind as we move through our practice. Students, parents, guardians, and communities entrust us with the responsibility of teaching in an ethical, respectful, and mindful manor. Abiding by Standard 2 ensures that all stakeholders are getting what they are investing in the education system while upholding its credibility.

When we are out in the community we are representing our school, our district, and the profession as a whole. How we conduct ourselves in all aspects of our lives should emulate the Professional Standards in some way. I want to teach in small rural communities for my entire career. In smaller places the presence of educators and those who are involved in the lives of youth and in the community have an enormous impact.

Embedding the Standards in daily life is essential. Furthermore, being familiar with the law and valuing confidentiality ties into the ethics aspect. Our goal is to ensure the success of our students. In doing so we must prioritize privacy which falls under the umbrella of protecting the well-being of our students.

Throughout the program we have discussed the idea that teaching is a 24/7 job in the sense that we must be mindful of what we are representing as we go through daily lives. I was fortunate to be placed in a school with a professional staff who clearly demonstrate Standard 2 behavior each day. They remained authentic in their conversations among other staff and with students while remaining ethical and reputable. I learned tons during my time in the classroom at Muheim elementary and from the students, but I also learned what it means to be a role model and what that looks like. This was clearly modeled from me by my CT’S, the administration, and the other staff at Muheim which I wanted to carry with me as I go into future practica and into a future job whether that be in the same district or a different one.